St. Peter's Church Newton Bromswold is believed to have been dedicated in 1272, as this is the date of the first recorded Rector for this church, although there are traces of an earlier church having stood on the same site.
Upon entering the church, the font is directly facing the entrance. It is fourteenth century and has a plain octagonal bowl moulded on the underside stem with incised tracery on six of its eight sides and a moulded plinth. There is an oak cover with battlemented edge and crocketed angles.
Walking down the north aisle, the old altar table, which now stands in the children's corner, is probably about 1600 and was once the main altar.
In the north window of the north aisle is the finest old glass in the church. This consists of flanking lights containing canopies, and right had one has the upper part of a nimbus from a destroyed figure of a saint. In the centre light is the head of a canonised Bishop, possibly St. Hugh of Lincoln. The glass in this window is some of the finest medieval glass in the Midlands and is dated approximately 1410 to 1440, as the only glass like it is at All Souls College, Oxford, which is slightly later than Newton Church.
The east window of the north aisle has two tracery lights of yellow and white foliage designs. These are probable of 1420 to 1430 and appear to be on their original positions.
The window on the north wall of the chancel is of the heads of two of the apostles. They were originally in one of the clerestory windows and formed part of a set of the twelve apostles. These two heads were painted about 1420 to 1430 and are of the highest quality. The west window in the south side of the chancel has fragments of fifteenth century canopy work including two seated lions. The main window over the altar was erected by Mrs Ager in memory of her husband, William Ager, around 1900. Mrs Ager also gave the two bishop's chairs that stand on either side of the altar.
To the left of the altar is what is said to be an Easter recess, perhaps this could be the founder's tomb, but the origin of this is unknown. On the other side are six stone priests seats, one with a piscine fixed in it. This is most unusual for such a small church.
The two brasses on the floor are fine old English brasses, one dated 1487 of Roger Hewet inscribed, "Pray for the soul of Roger Hewet, Chaplain who died 18th of the month April, A D 1486 on whose soul God hath mercy, Amen." The other brass is to William Hewet, formerly rector of this church, who died 18th day of the month of August in the year of our Lord 1426.
The screen was erected in 1920 in memory of those from Newton parish that were killed in the First World War.
The pulpit is 15th century of the perpendicular period, but was greatly restored in 1879 when the whole church as restored under the Church Restoration Act. Some of the original pews remain, but most were renewed during the restoration although copied from the original.
There are four bells, date 1887, 1727,1639 and a medieval one with the following marking on it, "Cross key and crossed arrows, St. Edmund".
The organ was installed in 1936 and electricity was fitted in the church in 1951.
The chancel roof is tiled whilst the main roof is flat and dated 17th century. The lean to roof of the north aisle is old, perhaps 17th century, with moulded principals and purlins and wall pieces resting on the stone corbels of an earlier roof, carved with heads and grotesques.
In the churchyard, there remains the base of the old village cross.
Recently, major restoration work has taken place on the church, including re-pointing work on the spire and the wall of the north aisle and the chancel roof.
If you wish to visit this Church, please contact Bob Lines, our Churchwarden 01933 315864